Skip to main content

To my Brother in law Curtis McKnight - Rest In Peace

​His name is Curtis McKnight. He is not a nameless victim. Someone hit him after he got off the bus on his way home from work and drove away. He was a hardworking father who touched so many lives. He was a survivor on so many levels and to be taken out like this is unfair for all of us. He was the life of every party. He was the glue to every gathering. Every time he left he said, “I love you.” He was my husband’s big brother and a meaningful person to so many. Curtis, I am so sorry this has happened to you. That you were taken away from us at 41. Like this. This just seems so unfair. I am just so hurt and confused. This is the sentiment shared by so many. At the viewing and celebration of life for my brother yesterday I saw how many people he touched but we all are still so hurt and confused. Why? Why did he have to be taken away? I saw the hurt in everyone’s eyes, especially my husband’s. It was his big brother. The thing about Curt that I loved so much was that he made sure that everyone around him felt like they were special to him. He made everyone feel like they were loved. He spread himself out to where everyone just wanted to be around him. He let us all know he loved us. He wasn’t just the life of the party, Curt was life, life itself. Every person has a picture with him. There are so many people in this world that know him.  It amazes us all the time how many people know him. I’m trying to process these feelings of grief, hurt and sorrow knowing that though this was not my biological brother, knowing that I didn’t see him every day - I saw him frequently enough - to know how much love he had for his entire family, including me. I pray for peace and solace. Burying him hurt because he is larger than life. It just doesn’t sit right to have watched him in a coffin that we put in the ground. The ice rain came down in droves yesterday, but there was this moment at the cemetery when the sun came out for a few seconds and we knew it was him. It will never be the same living in this world without his light. We will continue to push on through the hurt. We will learn and grow. We will speak of him. We will laugh at all the memories because there are so many. We will continue to speak his name throughout the family. He deserves that. Rest in peace Curt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...