Skip to main content

Marriage means something

Being married is underrated. I love the partnership that my husband I have where we plan and make goals together. Sometimes it’s hard for us to find like-minded couples to fellowship with as we are constantly working on our connection to each other and the world that surrounds us. You see, I never want people to feel like I’m bragging about us or to think like we have a perfect union because we don’t. I choose to see good in all situations my marriage included. We have been a work in progress over the last 11 1/2 years. We have had our shares of high ups and deep deep deep downs, but through love, we have decided to stay and build a life together. That to me is the epitome of marriage, building together through thick, thin, ups, downs and being there for each other through your weakest points. Learning how to be yourself in consideration of someone else and becoming a better version of yourself in service to your partner, is what marriage means to me. Not considering having one foot out the door but being all in. That goes for both people. I love my husband. I have not always been the best wife, but I love him for continuing to be by my side and accepting the very worst in me and I have done the same for him. We continue to build each other up and that is what I love. I am independent yet submissive. I am a dreamer yet I take my husband’s realism into account with every move I make. This journey we have embarked on started as two individuals that continued to live like they were single and now has morphed into a union of two individuals that have come together for a common purpose through love and sacrifice. To me, marriage is a bigger deal than people make it out to be especially if not surrounded by people that share similar values. I'm standing on this platform celebrating our union. This one's for you, babe. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...