Skip to main content

Pluses and Minuses

I spent today counseling and advising students, colleagues, former students, and family members. All day giving advice and talking to people. I talked so much today. I actually only taught for about two hours but I felt like I spread myself out to reach as many people as I could. when I think of the word impact I think about how what I do and say can breathe life into someone else so much so that they can go on and do the impossible. A huge highlight of today was being able to celebrate former students and highlight them for black history month. Young adults in their mid-20s who are starting in their careers, who graduated from college, trade school or began business ventures. Being able uplift them in this way made them happy. Hell it made my day as well. Coupling those feelings of excitement with some disappointment. The fact that there was one thing today that I wanted to attain but wasn’t able to impacted me pretty deeply. It always hurts to fail at something but knowing that I tried and I put myself out there that to me is a win. I left nothing unsaid and nothing undone. Though it’s hard for me to focus on the present when I’m preoccupied with disappointment, I have to talk myself through these feelings of defeat. Two steps forward, one step back but I keep pushing because there are people out there that are counting on me. I am counting on me.

 

So today I call a plus-minus day. I did well for my community overall yet I experienced a personal setback that I am still learning from. You win some you lose some but a failure doesn’t completely negate all the good that I have done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...