Skip to main content

A student shouldn't have been killed in a dorm.

​The death of the student at Lincoln University has me feeling pretty down. As a parent who had a child at the school, I feel incredibly sad about the situation. The fact that a student lost his life in a dormitory is pretty upsetting. To know that there was a fight that precipitated the death in the dorm hall, that non-students were involved and allegedly stabbed individuals at will in the dorm has me feeling uneasy all around. A dormitory on campus is supposed to be safe. The thing that really bothers me is the perception of safety is lost. It is bothering me because as a Black counselor who sends students to this particular institution yearly, as a mother who sent her child to the school it saddens me to know that this type of behavior happens frequently often going unchecked and that it seems as if the life of a black male student is not as valuable.


I kept checking news channels to see what the coverage would be like for this young man who was killed, because he was from Philadelphia. A few months ago there was a Temple University student that was unfortunately killed right off campus during an carjacking incident. I can tell you his name, where he’s from, what his major was. I can tell you about his part-time job, about his internship. I can tell you that he was graduating this May. I can tell you about his family, what high school he went to and I can also tell you that his killer was caught within 72 hours. I cannot tell you anything about the young man that was killed at Lincoln University last week who also was from Philadelphia and it saddens me. I don’t know what part saddens me more. There are just so many pieces to this story that have been bothering me over and over again. Being a counselor and having to answer questions from students who had the school on their list, being a mother who just recently transferred from the school who is saddened because she knew the young man, being a Philadelphian knowing that this young man isn’t even getting any press after he passed. 


I don’t know if it’s a black-white issue, if it’s a rich-poor issue if it’s a PWI-HBCU issue. I do know that three students were stabbed at Lincoln University this week, one student died. It was 9:30 at night, they were in their dormitory and a vicious fight broke out which resulted in death where outsiders were allowed to enter campus and participate. This situation hurts me and I have been praying and meditating on it. 


I think what saddens me the most is that this will be another incident that is brushed over in the array of traumatic events that have been transpiring as of late and that makes me incredibly sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...