I feel crazy today. Like none of my efforts are worth anything. Let me explain a little. Sometimes it seems like no matter what I do, how I feel or where I go I don't have an impact. I already know how this sounds. Whoa is me right? But over the past few weeks I have felt very ineffective. When I try to speak up about an issue it is quickly pushed aside, or someone tells me that I am wrong for feeling that way. It is frustrating. For a former spontaneity lover gone superwoman planner I am left feeling perplexed. I plan so much now and tend to know how things will play out and they go my way much of the time. Blame motherhood, marriage, teaching and managing 85+ student lives and decisions daily. But of late the fireside of me has been coming to the surface. Wanting more. More commitment from others. More fervor for work. More passion. More care. Hence the feeling of craze. The saga continued I guess...
As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...
Comments
Post a Comment