Skip to main content

I See Me in Kim Porter

The death of Kim Porter has wrecked me this weekend. I did not know her personally, but in learning of her death I feel so connected to her. I feel so lost about how she can be taken away from this Earth when she still has such young children. No day on this planet is promised and a celebrity life isn't more valuable than a regular person, but whenever I think of her I think of her as a mother first. She emanated care. Intentional care for her children. I think about the older boys and how the loss of a mother can devastate at any age and then the twin girls who are 11. 11 years old. I'm thinking about them having to navigate Hollywood life without their mother. A mother who had been through it and could guide them. I think about her friendships and kinships and those who knew and loved her. I have been so incredibly sad about this and took a while to place my own feelings surrounding her death. Then it hit me. I see parts of myself in her. My life as a mom, caretaker. Selfless. Always on go. Constantly caring for and about my loved ones sometimes to my own detriment. It can be a curse. I pray she is at peace and that her family finds solice. I am promising to be more mindful of how I treat myself because I don't know how much time I have left with those I love and those that love me. I can't take care of them if I am not here. Rest well Kim Porter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...