Last year was my year of yes and this year has turned in to my year of no. I learned a lot about myself through triumphs and difficulties in 2017. Now I am taking power in my ability to limit myself in what I accept and/or agree to and truth be told
I feel freer than I have in a very long time. Please don't take this as negative because it is far from it. This is more of me preserving my energy for the things that I find most important. I had a tendency to spread myself thin. Too thin. A lot of us do this honestly. Overpromise. Running around. A million things and places but little substance. I now just say no and by taking back my power I am effectively saying that the things to which I give my energy are the things that I value. I am taking stock of things that drain me in anyway and finding ways to end their effect on my me. This principle applies in every area of my life. At work, with family, with friends, in business - I reserve the right to say no to any and everything without guilt shame or any negative feeling. I have been practicing this mindset for the past 6 months and though hard at first with practice and consistent implementation I feel more empowered and in control than ever. I am refusing to let outside forces dictate how I live my life and how I feel. Saying no is one of the greatest tools you can use in the self-care arsenal and I use it quite often. And guess what it's working for me..
As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...
Comments
Post a Comment