Skip to main content

New Year, Different Me...

Over the past year I have learned so much about myself. I used to think I was strong. I used to think I had it all together. Married to the love of my life. Mom to two girls. College graduate. Great career. I started two companies as a way to do more in my community. Family go to person. You need help with something? Call Dana and she'll fix it. But I stopped. Stopped cold. You see I experienced a series of huge life changes all in a short amount of time. Became a published author and bought a house all in February 2017. Such an exciting time in my life. A new income stream in addition to small time city fame. Interviews, radio, tv, appearances all over. It was a lot all in a short amount of time. On the family front we started doing small work on our house, but that stalled quickly. My career was in an upward swing while personally my family was drowning. The new home became a nightmare that we are still reeling from. Bad contractors, borrowing from the bank to finish repairs, more problems discovered each time we start work. More money needed, no end in sight. And on top of that it was hard to find people to rely on. In this  wide network I had built there wasn't much consistent support. So I stopped. I stopped doing all the "extra" that had become so customary. Stopped the businesses. Stopped showing up to events. Stopped buying. Stopped expending energy. Stopped giving of myself. I put all of my focus into my family and our house. You know what? I started to feel a hell of alot better. More focused. I tend to be all over the place everyday. Focusing on a bunch of goals all at the same time, but when I stopped catering to everyone else I truly hoaned in on my purpose. My goals in this New Year are all family centered. Less outside time and more us time. More house fixing and marriage building and being a present mom and less everything else. I think there was a lesson in my crowded 2017 and that lesson was to focus on what I don't want to lose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...