Skip to main content

My Money Goals - Getting Honest with Myself

I have 4 main goals in my life right now. Most things that I do relate to achieving one or all 4 of these goals.

1. Establish an emergency savings
2. Get current on all bills
3. Get completely out of debt (credit card installments loans, student loans)
4. Finish construction work on my newish house

First things first, these are goals that both my husband and I agree on. Finances are literally one of the top reasons for divorce and discord in marriages. We both agree that these goals (yes all financially based) are important to us, our family and our lifestyle. Let's explore them one by one.

1. ESTABLISH AN EMERGENCY SAVINGS
Before any other goal we need cash in case of emergency. In the last 3 weeks we have had 3 pipes burst, furnace stopped working, flooded first floor of house and that's all in the first two weeks of the year. Emergencies happen (though usually not to this scale) and money is needed to fix things. If you have no cash reserve for emergencies then you take money from places where it's supposed to be. Bills don't get paid and you fall deeper into debt.

2. GET CURRENT ON ALL BILLS. I have been terrible my entire adult life with paying things on time. I blame my laid back personality. Nothing is ever a big deal until it's a big deal. Being late paying bills has been a bad habit that I have carried around for years. This goal is meant to create a fresh start for us. Having a zero balance on ALL housing, utility and other reoccurring bills will be empowering. Right now we're paying hundreds in late fees every month. This will stop. The plan includes, identifying total owed, keeping track of due dates in a calendar, setting up automatic bill pay accounts for just monthly bills and negotiating lower rates with all companies (especially internet, phone and cable). We're going to experiment with bundling insurance and adjusting our cell phone data plans.

3. GET COMPLETELY OUT OF DEBT (credit card installments loans, student loans) Americans have debt. They tell us it's healthy. They say it builds character. Man, forget that. Debt feels burdensome to me and limits my opportunities. So we're working together to get rid of as much of it as possible. Some steps we are taking:
- Increasing our income (side hustles, part time jobs, increased responsibility at day jobs)
- Reducing household bills (see above)
- Creating and sticking to a budget
- Cooking dinner nightly and taking breakfast and lunch to work daily
- Negotiating interest rates and settlement agreements with creditors
- Maintaining my car to reduce maintenance costs and gas needs
We're aggressively attacking this goal. We have a big number that we are trying to get down and are employing all avenues to pay it off.

4. FINISH CONSTRUCTION WORK ON MY NEWISH HOUSE We bought a house a year ago and have been doing work on it ever since. It has been a harrowing ordeal including a contractor who ran with a large sum of money and no completed work. Limited funds lead us to scraping together money however we could to get work completed. No emergency fund (see #1), lead to bills not getting paid (see #2) lead to overusing credit cards to get things taken care of (see #3). Everything is connected. We are closer to completion than ever and have a few thousand worth of work to put in to get it done for good. This will be a huge line item in our new budget but worth it. Accomplishing this goal will represent a peace of mind that we haven't had in a long time and once it's done we have a big chunk of money to reallocate to debt payoff.

So these are my money goals right now. My focus is 100% on accomplishing them. I'll check in about them periodically to let you know how I'm doing. Say a prayer and wish us luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...