The Black women in my circle are amazing. Like really really amazing. Everyday I find new inspiration in the things that we contribute to this world. Beginning with my mother who tirelessly showed us a shining example of a working wife and mother. To my sister who is so creative effortlessly that she doesn't even know her own strength and that humbles me. To my best friends who show me the true value of not only friendship but being employed multifaceted adults. Working mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives. To my work sisters who I can have multi level conversations with about social class, race, politics, favoritism. These women are principals, administrators, business owners, they are creative gurus, social workers, nurses, grad school student, doctors. They are human resource Analysts, single moms, working moms. They are daughters, sisters, mothers. They are world travelers. They are community organizers, caregivers. They are the epitome of strength. When I think of my journey and the various obstacles I've had to overcome due to race, sex and social and financial status I think of all the other influential African American woman in my circle and just beyond my circle. I see their achievements. I see their care. I see how we support one another and see how we empower one another. I see how we uplift one another and I tell myself that with this group of women anything can and will be possible. That with this group of women I can achieve anything. Women that I pray with. Women I can cry with. Women I can go to in times of need. Times of fear. Times of uncertainty. Women I can go to when I just need a hug. Some reassurance that everything I'm doing is not in vain. By saying that we can do anything it is not merely a statement, but rather a lifestyle to which I choose to subscribe. I believe in my African American sister. I believe in our power. I believe in our purpose. I believe in our drive. I believe in us. If you are in my circle connected in any way I thank you. I love you and may God continue to bless you and all that you do! I am that much better by being connected to you. Strong, Black, intelligent, wise...
As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...
Comments
Post a Comment