Skip to main content

One Of My Kids

It has taken some time for me to write this post. My child has graduated. Yes she's my student. Yes I teach seniors and normally I form relationships during the course of one school year, but this one is different. In the middle of 8th grade she became one of mine. Always in trouble. Arguing with this one or that one. Cursing out teachers. Somehow some way she got on my radar (I have Shelia Moffitt-Hinton to thanks for that) for whatever reason she listened to me and only me. We formed a bond that grew stronger each year. As she made her way through each grade she began to mature a little more. Each year conquering the classes and milestones associated with it. Internship, exhibition night, college, senior project, hard classes everything. She pushed through. And like every other student she did what she was supposed to do, but with a twist. She was a leader. And she was my child. All of the students in her senior class would ask her questions pertaining to college or deadlines because they knew she would know because of our relationship. She's no nonsense. She is so close to Melody and Jaleya and it warms my heart to know that they have a role model in her. Her heart is so big even though she pretends to be a tough girl.  Everyone knows I don't cry at graduations or school events but when I read her name I shed a tear. I'm not going to see my girl everyday. But she's going to Clarion University and WILL walk down that aisle in 4 years and guess who will be there? Me. And I'll be there every step of the way. My Shawna Kelley. I'm so proud of her!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...