Skip to main content

Encanto - Matriarch Misunderstood

​“The love and respect I have for Encanto and the story it tells. It brings so much to the forefront. I can understand the thought process behind wanting to “control” the family narrative in an attempt to protect them from harm especially when you have experienced traumatic events that have shaped your perspective and altered life as you know it. This movie hit me so hard😭”  a Facebook post by me


What I love about Encanto is the real-life depiction of a strong matriarch and the invisible pressure put on her shoulders to ensure that the family is surviving. What happens when you’re a strong woman with a family is that you make it so the family doesn’t realize what they need or what is lacking because she covers it all. She acts as the backbone and foresees what has to be taken care of in the future. All issues are handled because that strong woman makes it so. It’s hard for her to show vulnerability because she is a woman in charge. It’s hard to be flexible or accept mediocrity because she can let her family down. There is something within that feels that if she fails her family will suffer, that the next generation won’t have what is needed to thrive. While the matriarch is making sacrifices in the present for a hoped-for future, the younger family members don’t understand the reasoning behind the sacrifices so resentment can develop. The choices the matriarch felt she had to make to ensure the safety and sustainability of her family are questioned and scorned. The family can live the life they live because of the decisions made, forward planning, and strength of women like the matriarch. 


Women have always made sacrifices for their families and made it look easy, but the weight of strength can bring down a person over time killing the inner spirit. Aside from the mental and physical health effects, it can have a negative impact on family relationships when the purpose was to set them up for survival and success. The matriarch can be seen as cold, calculated, or controlling when the intention was to shield the family from harm that she likely experienced firsthand. My mother covered my immediate family. My grandmother covered my extended family. The decisions they made shaped my existence and peppered my life’s experiences. They likely lead out of a mix of fear and hope for our futures and the legacy of our family. 


I am not speaking on this topic through a psychological lens. I fully understand that there are toxic implications and mental health issues that can result from family dynamics. I am speaking through a lived experience lens; through watching and mirroring; through feeling the need to make sacrifices for family and being misunderstood. I’m speaking on this topic not only because it personally impacts me, but also I see so many hard-working women make current sacrifices for the generations to follow. The decisions they make today impact the generations after. Often the hard behind-the-scenes work goes unnoticed because it is silent. It is a life full of decisions no one else wants to make and silent sacrifice.


Using this space to shed light on what happens behind the scenes for strong mother figures that make sacrifices for their families. When we attempt to shield the family from personal struggles we endured, or have first-hand knowledge of, a level of indignation can develop from the family she is trying to protect. Without lived experience or a full understanding of sacrifice, the family can challenge the matriarchs true intentions.


This is not an opportunity to emasculate or justify wrongdoing. This is through the lens of a matriarch making decisions on behalf of her family because she can foresee how decisions made now can have impact on the trajectory of the family’s future.


My three cents.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...