Skip to main content

Guilt

I simply wanted a day to myself and that was too much to ask for. I ran into a recurring problem a few weeks back. I wanted time away but felt guilty for wanting it. Not time to go on an adventure, or time to party. Not time to get all dolled up or even get a massage. I wanted time to be completely alone, with my thoughts doing whatever I wanted (or didn't want) to do. Let me say this before y'all trip and cause a riot I AM IN LOVE WITH MY FAMILY. All caps to emphasize the feelings lol. My hubby and my kids are my world. We spend so much time together. Driving to school, weekend activities, cook together, clean together, jokes together. We're legitimately together most of the time. And I'm usually ok. There are times however when mommy/wife needs to be alone. Not in a bad way, but in a healthy way. I spend so much time trying to keep the family systems together that when it's time for "me" I'm depleted. Most of the time when I am by myself I spend it writing, paying bills or listening to a podcast or audio book. I spend alot of my alone time organizing our life. Making to do lists, organizing calendars,  business work to bring in additional income. I may drink more wine when I'm alone though or indulge in an episode of "This is Us" without interruption but that makes me feel good. The self care aspect comes with me not being "on" 100%. "On" go or in go mode.  Time to myself to just not do anything. Uninterrupted, unrushed time to myself. I'm not a bad mom for wanting it. I'm not a bad wife either. I see it as taking care of myself so that I can be the best version of myself for them everyday. No more guilt either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...