Skip to main content

Growing. Growing. Gone.

I've grown alot. I'm not bragging just stating a fact that is relevant to me. Here are 3 ways that I know I have grown as a person:

1. Most opinions don't effect me.
I used to really care how I was perceived publicly. The way I dressed, the way I wore my hair. My weight. The activities I engaged in.  My resume. I cared what people thought about my choices. How I spent my money. I cared about being too ghetto or too black. I cared about being too much in the wrong place. Even as I put on a IDGAF persona outwardly I still cared a great deal. And it influenced how I operated. I now engage in educational discourse without shirking back and can take constructive (and not so constructive) criticism without feeling hurt for hours and changing things to appeal to the critiquer. That's totally different for me.

2. I don't overwhelm as easily.
Stress kicked my butt for a long time. Yes I still experience stress, but not to the degree I once did. Stress was debilitating. The sense of overwhelm would take over my entire psyche and I'd lash out or cry. Now I am much more measured. The circumstances that once stressed me simply don't matter as much. For those that do matter I use coping strategies to navigate the feeling. I can identify when a situation will be particularly stressful and try to plan my way out of the feeling. Some things, situations, hell people just won't cause me to spiral into a tizzy. It's fine. It's ok. It's alright. If I'm alive after it then I can overcome it. No person or situation deserves my peace. Period.

3. I don't snap as much. I could cut someone down with my words, looks or actions in  millisecond. Now I just don't. Most times it's not worth it so I choose inner and outer peace. Definitely a work in progress.

This growth is over the course of the last few months. My life hasn't particularly experienced any huge changes, but a whole lot of small ones that have lead me to shift my perspective. I'm loving my new outlook on life. Still growing, but I'm really enjoying the direction I am moving in.

Peace and blessings darlings❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...