Skip to main content

Lesson in the Quiet Places

​God will sit you down to teach a lesson. I have been sidelined by sickness and tragedy repeatedly and there was always a lesson in it. Whenever I am doing too much or over exerting myself. Whenever I am worrying instead of having faith or fretting instead of trusting myself I get sat down. 

One of my good friends is having a hard time in multiple life areas. I told him he needs to try to take time for himself to rest because nothing in life is making sense right now. He was worried about everything and not trusting his own instincts. He's ones of the most creatively, energetic, charismatic people I know and he's become bogged down in life. My advice is always to find a way to focus on the positive and a space for himself outside of the madness. Then it just so happened that his body made him rest. Took him completely out of commission. Now the things that seemed so overwhelming may have lost their importance. In an instant. 

The thing I found interesting about this global pandemic that we have all been living through over the past almost 3 years is that it forced the world to rest. To sit, to reflect, to meditate, to be still and many times that is exactly what we need in order to figure out what our next steps are. In life we need to slow down to focus. We need to be quiet in order to identify our next move. We need to be still so that we can pay attention to what's most important. Sometimes all the noise, chaos and seemingly never ending list of tasks blinds us from what is most important. Our mind, body, & soul knows exactly what it needs. It knows when it needs to rest. It knows when we need to stop and reflect. The answer to all of our problems lies in the quiet pieces of our lives, the times when we sit still. I believe that we have an inner spirit that whispers to us when we are doing too much. We have an intuition that lets us know not only right from wrong, but when we need to just stop. I've begun to lean more heavily into the times of stillness. I am learning to put focus on my inner thoughts and feelings during times of strife because that is where the answers lie. You think clearly when the noise subsided. Because one thing worrying doesn't do is solve any problems. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...