Skip to main content

They want to organize college around the life they created during the pandemic. Is this wrong?

They want to organize college around the life they created during the pandemic. Is this wrong? So in counseling and raising young people that have been impacted by this pandemic like the rest of us I have seen a pattern emerge. More young people aged 16 - 21 are working and not attending college or trade school in a traditional sense. The world of online classes and virtual fluidity have given them the ability to move at a pace they choose. More of them are starting businesses, more are traveling, more are living independent of their parents/families. Not to mention the moves made with the increased flow of money from the Biden administration. College has become an afterthought to making money or living life on their own terms. The independence of being able to hold full time employment or run a full fledge business during the day time hours while attending classes online has empowered this generation. They aren't the same kids who graduated from high school and went directly into college to accrue debt, with no job or life experience to guide them. These kids were essential workers for much of the pandemic getting a frontline view to the pain sorrow and despair of our world. They are finding out what they choose to spend their time and money on. It's no longer about whether or not they go straight into a 4 year college and get a bachelor's degree. It is about whether they can be contributing members of society and make themselves mentally happy. It's about whether they can make good decisions to support themselves in the future. It's about their mental stability and comfort. It's about their ability to be debt free when the generation before is drowning in student loans. This path was not given to us 30+ and honestly we have no idea how we would have reacted if a global pandemic would have stopped our teenage world. These kids are making tough decisions everyday and are choosing themselves over our prescribed notions of life success. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...