Skip to main content

Camp with a purpose

I bring things to fruition.
This summer I got the opportunity to bring one of my passions to life. I am an ideator. I create events, gatherings projects that inspire.

A workshop camp for middle and high schoolers. A camp full of choice. Full of different activities to keep kids interested and off the streets during the dangerous hot summer months of Philly. A camp to spark joy. 

I taught a balloon class. The purpose of the class was less about perfectly aesthetically pleasing designs and more about giving the kids something new to do. A new skill to learn. Something that wouldn't otherwise be fun but took up the time in summer. They got to build a relationship with an adult and learn how to manage themselves in tense situations (handling balloons with them popping is a skill in patience!)

Kids like to participate. Kids like being given praise. Kids like to feel helpful, seen and valued. They want to be paid attention to. The camp offered so many different ways in which our students could embrace their inner child while having fun! 

If you show up with purpose to teach them, if you speak to them like young people, if you come prepared with a plan and show them an end product they will feel the value. Kids can see bull__ clearer than most adults. They know when something is off or someone is just doing it to get paid. 

In addition to the camp participants, we hired older students and alumni at a competitive rate! They got the opportunity to be apart of our working family and earn their way towards their goals. And the work they did was meaningful. They mentored younger students, did administrative work, engaged with the community and just conducted themselves like young people with a purpose. 

Our camp this summer brought joy to the lives of so many kids just by giving them something meaningful to do each day. We all show up better when what we have to look forward to is more meaningful. We do better at work, in class, and in life. When we feel like we are learning something or are valued it goes a long way in how we show up.

This camp kept kids safe. It kept them motivated and it reminded them that Lenfest is a safe space that they can return to.

Our job, though not finished was done well and it will be beneficial in the long run. 

Thank you to all who helped bring this vision to life. Our kids are better for it. Our school is better for it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...