Skip to main content

GUN VIOLENCE AS A PANDEMIC

The pandemic that mostly affects my life is gun violence. The amount of people that have been shot or killed or affected by gun violence is more than I know that have been affected by the Corona virus. Every time I turn on the news another person is reported shot and dead. I’m always checking the location to see if I know anyone living close by. I’m fearful all the time of getting a phone call or a text message that someone I know has been shot and killed. It hurts to feel like I’m in constant fear. Every day I’m scared to death and kids are normalizing death. It is unfair. The value of life is diminishing. People now know what to do whenever someone dies. 

Candle light vigils.

Balloon releases. 

Funeral procession.

Repass. 

Food for the family.

Tshirts.

Teddy bears.

Cardboard cutouts.

Memorial service. 

Burial.

Hashtags and 

social media RIP tributes. 

Updated profile pics and bios. 


It feels like our lives have so little value. What makes it even worse is that the murder clearance rate in this city is less than 30% and even less for people of color. There is little hope that my murder would be solved because I’m a person of color living in a Black neighborhood in Philly, sadly. I truly feel this way. It scares me to think that if I were killed that those close to me would mourn and then the world would simply move on. Over the couse of this year the cases of murder and gun shot victims has increased exponentially. There is so little value tied to someone’s life. There is so much time on people’s hands. This issue hits me hard because I love the population of people that are most affected, 16 - 30 year old Black people. Male and female alike. I have a daughter in this age range. I have family in this age range. I counsel this age range. Most if not all of the students I have ever taught are in this age range. I am in fear that I will get a phone call that someone else I care for, someone i’ve loved, liked, encountered has been killed by gun fired. and this does not feel like a priority in this city. Preventing gun violence does not seem to be a priority. It feels like if you are Black, young, from the city, God forbid poor then if you are shot no one will care. your murder will not be solved. That is what is demonstrated over and over again. I’m making observation not placing blame. This pandemic has reduced activities for people to engage in like fruitful jobs, school, extra curricular activities and as a result there is much more idol time. There has been an increase in money due to various CARES act provisions, drugs are easier to come by, guns are more readily available. Policing is affected by the Black Lives Matter Movement, more citizens using video to protect their right and more accountability measures. People are less focused on community and more focused individually. throw in the mental health effects of living through a global pandemic that has effectively changed everyone’s lives and livelihood and you have the basis of an epidemic of violence. But what can be done?

I’m scared a lot. Just because so many things can happen to anyone I hold dear. The feeling never gets better. To hear about the death of a person young or old by being shot is never something I can't get used to. This is the issue of our time, of our city, of our youth. At this point Philadelphia is approaching 150 homicides so far this year with over 700 shootings. Its March. This needs to be attacked in the same manner as the Covid-19 pandemic. This is a crisis. Pay attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...