Skip to main content

Is it the end of the snow day as we know it?

With the rise in virtual instruction due to the Covid 19 pandemic, schools all across the country have pivoted to incorporate online instruction either fully or hybrid. Online learning has its positives and negatives, but for the most part students are learning and teachers are teaching. In the Northeast however there is a time honored tradition with the anticipation of the "snow day". A day off from school due to hazardous conditions caused by too much snowfall. Students and teachers alike buzz about days before an impending storm trying to guess whether or not school will be cancelled. It's a right of passage, a tradition. Teachers become faux meteorologist making ridiculous predictions. Students wear their pajamas backwards and cross their fingers hoping to wake up to good news. Snow days are taken very seriously. The days off for snow are refueling for teachers and fun for students. I remember waiting to hear my school ID number on KYW at 5am to see if my elementary school was closed. My grandmother would call our house to let us know that there was no school. The built up excitement is a right of passage for us all.

Nowadays we have trained our kids to open their computers and log into school virtually. Kids know how to complete asynchronous assignments if their teachers are not available or log into Zoom for face to face class. It's so impersonal, yet its effective in having student have access to learning even in increment weather.

It makes me sad though. The excitement of having a snow day is a time honored tradition for us Northeasters. I hope they aren't completely phased out. Here's hoping for more Snow days! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...