Skip to main content

The Other Essential Workers

While teaching my students during virtual learning a recurring theme plays out almost daily. Many of my students are working. Their work schedules interfere with their school schedules and they are often front line workers.

When the pandemic forced statewide shut downs of everything but essential businesses many of my students were already called to action. The businesses deemed essential were not only hospitals, but also grocery stores, gas stations, discount stores and fast food restaurants. Family Dollar, Dollar General, Amazon, Walmart and Target all are essential businesses and all employ teenagers, many of whom are Black and brown. We teachers often hear students say they've missed online class because of work, some will even join a Zoom class from behind the cash register at work. More times than I can count this school year a student has been at work while in virtual class. They are trying to balance completing assignments, being present in class while also bagging groceries and stocking shelves.

When full time workers with children could no longer cover their shifts my students could step in because attending school was no longer a prohibitive factor. When employees got ill and had to stay home my students picked up more and more hours daily. When parents got sick and could not pull the full weight of supporting a household, some students would get multiple jobs to cover the gaps left by their parents. Also with less extra curricular activities open and available they have more time to work.

The jobs they have are necessary for our overall economy, as well as for our well being. They come into contact with more people than average and thus are at a much greater risk of sickness, but are an unseen population. This is often an untold story. A story of a subset population of minority teens 16 - 20 who are working almost full time hours due to high demand in this pandemic. Just shining a light on our youth in this pandemic. We don't want to overlook their risks and sacrifices. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...