Skip to main content

Open Letter to My Seniors.. You Matter

This school year has been hard. Jahiara lost her mom. We lost Suhail. Many of you lost loved ones. Science was a wash. We lost the end of the school year. We lost prom. We lost graduation. We lost celebrations. A virus took so much away. Racial trauma is continuing to plague us. Over and over again. I'm angry, sad, anxious, fearful, tired. So tired. Tired of everything.

I do the work I do because our kids need someone to speak for them. My kids need an advocate, someone in their corner. I worked hard to secure my position, mastered my craft, built a reputation, gathered connections all so I could be a resource for my people. My youth. My kids. College advising is a way for me to help my kids realize they are bigger than their surroundings. A way to help them realize their dreams. A way to help them realize that they can do anything they want in this life. A way to visualize their futures. Sometimes it involves convincing them to do things they don't want to do. It's about being a presence in their lives. Someone that's in their corner even if they don't know it. I advocate. All the time. Sitting on the phone with colleges, recruiters and scholarship committees, writing letters to appeal boards, driving busloads of black kids across the state to see college campuses, but aside from college I do this everyday for my kids. I show up. I stand tall for my kids by just being myself. I'm a Black educator on purpose. My being present represents more than just a job. My kids come to me to cry, parents ask me to console, I talk to my students like they are my own children, I hold them accountable, I fight for them behind the scenes all the time because if I don't who will? That's how I approach it. They deserve to be kids. They deserve support. They deserve their playing field to be leveled. I call myself a college advisor mom for a reason. I feel like I'm saving lives everyday by just being there.

I am hurting to my core. Black people keep being killed as if our lives don't matter. George Floyd.
Breyonna Taylor.
Ahmaud Arbery.
Travon Martin.
Tamir Rice.
Sandra Bland.
Armando Castille.
Eric Garner.
Sean Bell.
Oscar Grant.
Mike Brown.
Walter Scott.
I'm scared all the time that someone I love will be on this list. I'm scared for my husband. Scared for my daughters. Scared for my entire family. Scared for my students. There isn't a time that I am not scared. It's not fair. I don't want to personally know the next name on the list. It's not fair that we must live our lives like this. In constant fear. In a war state.

I've gotten a gun pulled on me twice in my lifetime. Once I was walking down the street and I fit the description of someone who robbed a 7/11. The police pulled guns and ordered me to put my hands up. The second time I was in bed asleep. The police ran into the house looking for a suspect. I was in the bed. They kicked in the bedroom door and drew guns. If I would have moved or been defiant or perceived disrespectful I could have been killed. I could have been Breyonna Taylor. That realization frightens me.

We fight for good schools, we fight for opportunities, we fight for jobs, we fight for resources, we fight for our health, we fight for respect and we fight everyday for our lives and it's not fair.

I draw strength from doing the work. It feels like a calling to pour my energy into something positive especially if nothing else is in my control. I can inspire change. I can be the change. My children and my kids are the future and I sacrifice and pour into them so that they can stand a fighting chance. I'm angry. I'm hurt but we as a people will rise above. This movement, this energy there is a shift happening. My kids are living during a time in history that will be written about. This is a revolution on so many levels.

I am a Black woman. Wife. Mother. Sister. Friend. Daughter. Teacher. Counselor. Mentor. So many titles but none of them mean anything. Above all I am a person a human being who's life matters. I matter to those who know and love me just as they matter to me. I am a Black educator on purpose. My story, my experiences and the way I approach the world gives my kids permission to be. Through all this tragedy we as a people will make it through.

Keep fighting. Keep pushing. Don't give up no matter how hard it gets. There are more people who love you that are rooting for you in the background.

The time for change is now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...