In 2016 I applied to the University of Pennsylvania for a Masters level dual degree program. I was scared to apply as I carried feelings of self doubt coupled with the fact that it is an Ivy League school. I was in my mid 30s, with a husband, 2 children and a strenous full time job, not to mention an undergraduate GPA under 3.0. Needless to say I was waitlisted, then denied admission and I was beyond upset. I sulked and then moved forward in my regular life, but the denial sparked something within me. I wanted to prove to myself that I could be accepted. I waited a year before reapplying and during that time I bolstered my profile. I added new initiatives to my resume and conquered new projects. I sought out new references and focused my new application on my growth,vulnerability and how I'd be an asset to the program. You know what happened? I got accepted. Making those changes showed me that I can do anything. That failure pushed me to go deeper to prove to myself that I am capable of what I desire.
As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...
Comments
Post a Comment