Skip to main content

I lost it... but it's coming back

Today I called out of work. I reached my level of overwhelmed yesterday. I was so upset emotionally drained and brain beaten that I felt a panic attack approaching. I sat in a corner on the floor clutching my phone as I called my husband asking him to come home from work. I was a wreck. And the thing about it is that the trigger wasn't terribly bad but it sent me over the edge. The wifi wouldnt work properly. I work from home. Correction I teach from home. There are kids in my face all day. On zoom. My zoom room is my classroom and my internet cutting out in the middle of the class is the equivalent to me walking out during a lesson leaving the kids unattended. My internet cut out in the middle of class twice this week. It cut out completely in the middle of a meeting I was leading. That did it. The zoom shut off, my phone died while on the charger. My email wouldn't go through. Nothing would work all at the same time.

On top of this both my kids were having trouble with the wifi too. Their frustration is palpable. I try to keep it together for myself and them but this week got harder and harder. I at least had my break down while I was home alone.

I felt so out of control. I called out of work the next day saying I needed a mental health day. I called my husband and cried. He came and just sat with me. We tried to watch tv but the internet struck again. I was just emotionally drained and this was symbolic of everything happening all at the same time.

Virtual teaching limited social interaction Breonna Taylor gun violence in Philly this election mail in voting, making decisions about every single simple thing.

My brain hurt.

So I didn't work. I took a break from the computer for the day and did things that I felt I could control. I cleaned my house. I made balloons. I assisted the girls with their school work. I wrote. I read. I went shopping. I cooked. I did things that were simple and felt like I took a little power back. I felt like I could start to make decisions again. I don't feel crippled into submission.

So I went back to basics. My home and my family.

Forget self care I had a self realization. I'm absolutely no good if I'm so wired. I cant do any of the jobs paid or at home. It's scary to keep coming back to this place of distress and figuring my way out of it. This anxiety ridden world we are experiencing right now is revealing lessons everyday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...