No pen to paper but getting my thoughts out. I love my husband. We've been working hard to make it work and it shows. I appreciate him. Becoming a wife has taught me a new level of patience. To take someone else into consideration. I am not always right. It is not always one way to doing things. You can show love differently. You have to be willing to listen without a response ready and you have to be willing to try. Try hard all the time. I loved my husband but was selfish and unkind. I thought I knew everything. I thought I had to be right all the time and have all the answers. Marriage is hard because it is work. He taught me that I do love and can love in a way that is unselfish. I don't have to be in control of everything. And that is ok. Every day I wake up feeling like I need him more and more by my side. I admire the man he is. The father he is. The husband he is. The protector. He helps me continuously believe in myself and my abilities and I am thankful for that. In the past though I'd be grateful for him at times it didn't feel like we were a team. We are such a team now. A strong team. A team against the entire world and I am amazed at how he continues to show up for me. Not just the kids. For me. He has the power to change my mood. To change my mind. He listens to me more now. He makes me feel important to him and I want to do this marriage thing for as long as we can.
As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...
Comments
Post a Comment