Skip to main content

Breonna Taylor

Shit is still unbelievable... or not. This happens often. The perception of guilt because of our blackness, the company we keep, the communities we live in. It's justified because the no knock warrant was the law. It's justified because the police officers were fired upon by her licensed to carry boyfriend in the dark in the middle of the night. They were asleep. You know because when you have work in the morning you go home where you are safe and rest for the next day's work. We take it for granted. White people, people that are not from working class communities, communities not of color can take this for granted. This is not an anomaly. It is the law and her life does not matter as much as someone with more prestige, less melanin, more money. I'm hurt that I am not surprised by any of this. Breonna Taylor should not be a hashtag. She was doing absolutely nothing wrong. She was asleep in her own house and the police came in and shot her. Atatiana Jefferson was shot and killed by the police. In her home playing video games with her nephew. AT HOME. Your home is supposed to be your sanctuary. Sleep is supposed to be your refuse. But the cops shot them and justice has not been served. Because black skin doesn't matter and being a woman doesn't get respect. Add socioeconomic status to that and you might as well be invisible. Forgotten. Fucked over. Unprotected. 

"Shoot first and ask questions last. That's how most of these so called gangstas pass" but what if the gangstas have the law on their side? Her life doesn't matter to the masses. Just one more death in a sea of disrespectful treatment of Black women by a society that fails to see our equal worth and find justifications for our mistreatment.

I am a Black woman from Philly. 3 times a threat or 3 times more likely to be dismissed, disrespected, forgotten and unprotected. 

Unfair but not likely to change. I'm fearful for my daughters and myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...