Skip to main content

Why I do

I serve as a College Advisor and Seminar teacher within a comprehensive charter high school. I have 15+ years of experience in college access and youth development. Though the titles are nice there is much deeper meaning in what I do on a daily basis.

Why I do the work I do:
I want to change mindsets
I want to help reverse generational poverty
I want to prevent senseless violence
I want to overcome despair
I want to help a parent realize a dream for their child that they don't know how to attain
I want to end the school to prison pipeline
I want to show my Black and Brown kids endless possibilities
I want college to save their lives
I want a career to save their lives
I want a goal to save their lives
I want a sport to soothe their minds
I want a career to sustain their lifestyle and provide for themselves and their families
I want the military to provide discipline to move in various surroundings
Exposure
Opportunity
Enlightenment
Giving a damn about our kids
My kids
I teach
I counsel
I advise like my kids lives depend on it
You know why?
Often times it does.
The same college experience, pathways choice, lifestyle choice you frown upon could have saved that young person's life
I care about the burden of debt on our Black families.
I care about the Black tax once they "make it"
I worry about the kids I help send to predominantly white institutions that are confronted with racism everyday
I worry about the kids I send to HBCUs that can't afford to eat or have excessive loan debt
This is life and death for my kids.
I have kids in foster care, two parent homes, incarcerated parents, teenage parents themselves that all want better for themselves.
My kids are real people, with real problems in this real life.
Not statistics.
Not a set of data points.
Not GPAs and test scores.
Real people.
I am people centered. I advise based on the person, their wants, needs, circumstances and abilities.
We all need to win as a people and I'm doing my part every single day.
You want to know why I do what I do?
My kids lives depend on it.
My life depends on it.
So I'll continue to advise them in hopes of changing their trajectory in some way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...