Skip to main content

My friend

It's taken some time to write this. Mainly because you'll critique it for grammatical errors, but I don't care. This is hard. I've purposely tried to distance myself from you over the last month because you were leaving me. Selfish I know. You were not happy but I still wanted you to be there. This was a very hard decision for you and you are so use to making hard decisions so I get it. It's about peace of mind and quality of life and internal happiness. I want all of those things for you BUT I'll miss seeing you every day. There is no superhero Mrs. Martin without Ms. Di. Your legacy at our school is going to go down on history. NO ONE WILL EVER BE LIKE YOU. No English teacher, AP, leader anyone. Your heart is unlike anything I have ever seen in a school. In life period. Above and beyond always. Without question. I brought my child to Lenfest because you would be her teacher and turned into her mentor on so many levels. Meditation, mindfulness, prison reform, activism just being a more conscious person. You tapped into something that we didn't even see. You helped make her a much better writer. More expressive. More care. She was having trouble transitioning to her new school environment and refused to go. You drove to my house in the middle of the school day and when she wouldn't open the door you climbed through the window 🤦🏾‍♀️. You got her out of the house and brought her to school. That's Colleen. And the thing that makes you so unique is that you would have done that for any student. You see needs that others don't and you act on it. You care and you do not care about protocol and waiting around for approval. We're kindred spirits. When our kids need something you are sure to deliver. Teacher is not even an accurate description. You're more like an all encompassing school savior for lack of better terms and you're humble. You hate attention. You just want opportunities for our kids with no recognition. Colleen. You left me. I don't even know who I am as a College Advisor without you cleaning up messes behind the scenes. But aside from all the Mastery blue koolaid talk you're my friend. Like I'm going to missing crying in front of you. It's been hard for me to come to the realization that we won't be in each other's presence. I've been so mean to you this last month because I'm a brat and you're leaving me. I don't do well when I don't get my way. I love you Di. You're my ride or die. My drinking partner. Secret keeper. My co-conspirator. Fellow Money Team mom. I hate this but I'm really happy for you. Believe that you're worth it because we all know it to be true. Your kids are so lucky to have you as a mom. I'm happy to have you as my friend. Mastery Lenfest lost a great one.. because she'll hate it please tell Colleen how much she means below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...