Skip to main content

Our Story - Dream House

Our story
We bought a house in February 2017. It was our forever home. For 5 years we sacrificed, saved, built and fixed credit. When we were ready to buy we searched for 6 months. 6 months! We found the perfect house for our family. Great neighborhood, the right amount of space, a porch for me, a man-cave for the Mr, plenty of space for the girls. It was perfect for us. It is an older home so some remodeling was necessary but it was so worth it in our eyes. Settlement was February 22nd and it was one of the happiest days of our lives. We took the girls to our new home, had them run through and choose their rooms. We took so many pictures! We were just ecstatic to finally have something that was ours. We knew that there were some issues we wanted fixed within the home so we started our search for a contractor. We vetted four or five different companies and settled on one that could do the majority of the work that was needed. This company started strongly but lost employee's and manpower mid-way through the job and was ultimately unable to complete it. Materials were bought, but the labor wasn't finished. Half-completed demolition and junk removal, half-completed electric work, half-completed wall reconstruction. By this time it's mid-May and we have yet to move into our brand new home. We would go to the house to check the progress of the work each day and many days it was as if no work had been attempted. We had given his contractor over $21,000 as a downpayment for work and the jobs that he was supposed to complete he never finished. Demo undone, electric work undone and unsafe, walls were taken down and not replaced.  We had to let him and his company go. We have been trying for the last 3 months to use family and friends who are skilled in various areas of construction to help us complete the work at our house. We have also used contractors that we know personally to complete small jobs in and throughout the house paying out of pocket each week. But at this point we are unable to borrow another dime to complete what is left. We can't take out another home improvement loan, we can't borrow from our bank, and we are basically at a standstill. I rarely ask for help for myself, but right now I am asking. We have the following construction tasks that need to be completed in order for us to move into our home:
Door and window framing
Baseboards
Paint, primer
Carpeting
Floor Refinishing
My husband and father have been great and able to put in work during this time and we have had the help of some family and friends, but with all of my resources I can't get beyond this. I usually know where to turn to help those in need and I am all about helping out small businesses and small business owners within our community, but my family was really taken advantage of.  We simply want our house finished so that we can move in. We have gotten estimates for all the work still needed to be done including materials. My family has been so patient throughout this process. It is our goal to have the work completed and paid for so that we are able to move in before the start of the school year. We want the girls settled. This was not easy for me to ask for help in this way. And yes we are pursuing legal action for the first contractor, however that takes time and we still need our house finished. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude for Philly Youth

As a 12th grade teacher and counselor I like to give a positive perspective of our city's young people. During this season of gratitude I'd be remiss if I didn't take pride in the brilliance of our children, especially the older ones. With so much death and despair gaining news coverage we tend to forget the kids that are on the right track doing, the work to make themselves better. Each year our high school seniors spend the fall applying to colleges far and wide hoping for a chance to start a new journey in just a years time. With dreams of a career in engineering, medicine or even animal husbandry (yes this is a thing) they cast fear aside and shoot for their ultimate goals in spite of current circumstances. We often don't recognize the teens working long shifts at local stores after a full day of school just to have a sense of responsibility. The teens that sit up all night fretting over projects and assignments due the next day aren't always on our radar, but ...

Jada

People put so much emphasis on perfection when thinking about Jada Pinkett-Smith and celebrities/politicians in general. I think about all of the naysayers saying that she can't be an expert on interpersonal relationships or give advice through channels like the Red Table Talk series because of her recent admission of supposed infidelity in her marriage. But she is a human being. That is one thing that has frightened me in all of my professional journeys. People believe that if you fail in one aspect of your life then you don't have the right to give advice to anyone in another area or even in that area of life. It is a perceived notion that you must be perfect all around, have a perfect image everywhere so that you can advise. People are trying to cancel her saying that she can't give anyone advice on anything anymore because of this new revelation. This revelation that is new to us. But who are we really? My question comes in how can people grow if the mistakes they make ...

Nondescript Sick Fall 2021

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Covid symptoms without covid. I have taken no less than 6 Covid test rapid and PCR at Urgent care, the emergency room and at work all have been negative. I hate this. I have experienced every symptom known to man. Long lasting deep coughs, difficulty breathing, sneezing, nausea, headaches, vomiting, inability to sleep, extreme fatigue, fever, chills, whole body aches, chest heaviness, overall exhaustion. All intermittently over the course of a month and a half. I've been to my primary, urgent care and the Emergency Room all for them to diagnose me with the randomest upper repository issues. I've been diagnosed with bronchitis, an ear infection, the flu and seasonal allergies gone arry. The Emergency department basically said that I have a non descript upper respiratory infection and that I need to rest. They gave me an inhaler because I may be developing asthma. At 38, because life. I was told that my cough can last up to 6 weeks and ther...